Ponderings of an Inquisitor

5.30.2008

How you do ANYthing is how you do EVERYthing... but you can't change EVERYthing all at once!

So... on my quest to becoming a better person... more intentional about how I live my life, I've discovered a profound truth. Admitting you need to change is the first step towards change, but if you try to take on all your changes at once, you tend to fail simply because you're so overwhelmed with things! That's why "yo-yo" dieting is what it is... you take a lifetime of habits and try to change them into an entirely new lifestyle... More and more, I'm realizing that small changes in your habits tend to be much more succesful. I am not who I am because one day I had the idea to acquire certain qualities... of course not. I decided to make this choice or that choice and all my choices and experiences, combined with my created being have culminated into this temporary result of how I am today...

In light of this discovery, I've decided to start making little habit changes to my life. When I take the time to look at my life, I am wonderfully happy with many things... but I know there are certain areas that I would like to improve...
1. My giving (or lack thereof) of my time, money and pride
2. My tardiness
3. My eating and exercising habits
4. My need to be in control and stress management
5. etc., etc., etc.

Everyone has things in their life that they wish they could change... and they absolutely can. Just one baby step at a time.

My first baby step is to stop eating after 7:00pm... and I'll tell you... that's harder than I thought! But, totally worth it. :) Once this becomes a natural habit that I just normally do, I'll my next habit which might be to do something for someone every day - not because I'm paid for it... but to do a random act of kindness just because it's good to do... or maybe I'll go on a walk for 10 minutes each day, doing deep-breathing and thanking God for all my blessings... or maybe I'll commit to journaling once a week... things that are practical, not daunting but good things in my life or in others...

"Baby Steps for Grown-Ups" - maybe I'll write a book on it. :) hah. I'll keep updating as to how my progress goes with the idea... :)

Blessings...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home