Ponderings of an Inquisitor

9.16.2006

Hard decisions...

I just read this in the news this morning... Check it out:

Immigration raids make a ghost town in Georgia

It's hard to know how to feel. My immediate reaction is, "why all the fuss over getting people out? I know there are problems... But our policies (from what I understand) make it extremely difficult to get here legally anyways...

Here's what stood out to me:

At Sucursal Salina No. 2, a store stocked with Mexican fruit sodas and snacks, cashier Alberto Gonzalez said Wednesday that the owner may shutter the place. By midday, Gonzalez has had only six customers. Normally, he would see 100.

The B&S convenience store, owned by Keith and Regan Slater, the mayor's son and grandson, has lost about 80 percent of its business.

"These people come over here to make a better way of life, not to blow us up," complained Keith Slater, who keeps a portrait of Ronald Reagan on the wall. "I'm a die-hard Republican, but I think we missed the boat with this one."

Since the mid-1990s, Stillmore has grown dependent on the paychecks of Mexican workers who originally came for seasonal farm labor, picking the area's famous Vidalia onions. Many then took year-round jobs at the Crider plant, with a workforce of about 900.

Crider President David Purtle said the agents began inspecting the company's employment records in May. They found 700 suspected illegal immigrants, and supervisors handed out letters over the summer ordering them to prove they came to the U.S. legally or be fired. Only about 100 kept their jobs.

The arrests started at the plant September 1. During the Labor Day weekend, agents with guns and bulletproof vests converged on workers' homes after getting the addresses from Crider's files.


So... devastating the town's economy for many... and then the flip side:

The poultry plant has limped along with half its normal workforce. Crider increased its starting wages by $1 an hour to help recruit new workers.

Stacie Bell, 23, started work canning chicken at Crider a week ago. She said the pay, $7.75 an hour, led her to leave her $5.60-an-hour job as a Wal-Mart cashier in nearby Statesboro. Still, Bell said she felt bad about the raids.


Thoughts?

1 Comments:

  • Hi friend,
    You made me think tonight, so I stared to wright a response and it turned into way longer then a quick respons, so I posted it on my blog (yes I know it has been forever.) so you should go look. Love you!

    By Blogger Beans, at 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home