Dear Grandpa,
But you, grandpa, I got to live my entire life knowing... I wrote Nate a letter, kinda saying goodbye... and that reminded me that I never really wrote you a goodbye letter... so here goes.
Grandpa, you were one of the most incredible men that walked this earth. I'll never forget how much fun we had together. I've never met a man who joked and smiled and teased as much as you. You were the epitome of a cute, old grandpa who loved his family more than anything... I have so many good memories with you... playing Parcheesi on the patio... teaching grandma bad manners... learning to play poker, gin, and blackjack with all the necessary cards, chips and strategies... walking down to the park by your house to play... or walking to Baskin Robbins for an ice cream cone...
You were always there. You came to every piano recital, every choir concert, every play I was in, every talent show I sang in... you were there. You were at every possible Birthday, Holiday, or Graduation you could be...
I remember how you used to make up games for us to play at holidays... I think the one I remember the most was that one about guessing the song from the pictures. :) You never stopped playing games. Every memory I have with you is of you smiling...
I remember going to breakfast with you one morning... it was sometime while I was in college... maybe my sophomore year or so. We went, just the two of us, to breakfast in Escondido at an old place you used to stop by when you worked near there. You, of course, remembered that they had the best cinnamon rolls ever made, so we simply had to get one. :) That was the only time in my life that we went out, just the two of us. It had always been the boys and the girls, so I never had that time, really. But that was different - we chatted about life and love and all sorts of subjects in between... then we shuffled around on the sidewalk towards the antique store... looked at a few items, and then left for home. It was such a special date with you... :)
What I remember most about before you died was that you kept telling me that I was a good girl... that I was going to graduate college and do just fine. Well, I did it! :) I graduated college, and I'm a pretty good girl. :) I think you'd be proud...
I miss you... Especially on holidays, cause that's when I wanna play games with you or hear about your childhood or get interrogated about my thoughts on politics, history, current events or business. You had such an incredible mind. I can't believe how intelligent you were... I have to admit, I feel kinda jipped that once I finally started to grow up into a woman with a mind that could really try to figure things out, you had to up and leave. I mean, I know you're happier now and everything, but couldn't you have stuck around a while longer? I know it's selfish, but I wish I could call you on the phone from time to time... just to hear your sweet, reassuring voice... I wish we could discuss some stuff, ya know? It'd be nice to sit down and have a breakfast chat with you again...
Everyone misses you, to be honest. Grandma does the most, I bet. But your whole family remembers you... we are your legacy, Grandpa. We are the product of your love, your care, your darling friendship, and your love for God. Till the day you died, you loved Him most. For being the incredible man that you were, it makes me want to love God as you did...
It's okay, though, I'll see you soon enough, I'm sure. Only like 70 more years or so. ;) I love you. We'll put your pictures out to remind us of your sweet spirit. We will never forget you...
I love you with all my heart,
Your grandaughter,
Vanessa
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home