Ponderings of an Inquisitor

2.09.2006

Thoughts on School & Prayer

So, I'm supposed to be doing homework right now. But what do I want to do? Read the news, research organizations helping people and write. I'm so glad and thankful that I've had the privilege to go to a school that has opened my mind up to critical thinking, learning and provided the opportunity to be mentally, spiritually and academically challenged. I'm thankful to be in the 1% of the world that goes to college, and so I will continue to work my ass off to do well - even when I don't want to. But really, I'm struggling now with being extremely apathetic.

I'm loving sociology and theology, morality & culture because they are two people-focused classes where I feel like I'm learning about things that will impact my entire life.

My strategic management class is somewhat dull but at times interesting, so I think I will survive if I can just force myself to focus. My MIS class seems interesting - we'll see how it goes, since I don't know too much about it yet.

My Postmodernism class is somewhat boring and very one-sided. It talks about naturalism and modernism and such - stuff I'm sure I'll need to know, but frankly, it just seems like too much work for a subject I don't care about. Oh well.

I'm graduating this semester - May 27th to be exact. At 9am. Thank God. Like I said, I'm so thankful to have the opportunity, but I'm aching to move on to other things. So, I suppose Biola's done a great job - not only do I feel somewhat prepared, I'm ready to take something new on. Well done, Biola. Now I just have to muster the courage to focus instead of learn about the world (or maybe find a balance of both).

Here's another thing I've been tossing around... prayer. I don't feel like I have the right to pray to God for anything meneal. So, I've been trying to figure out how to pray and the purpose of it, etc. Well, I decided that Jesus prayed the "Lord's Prayer" so I've been okay with that one.

This is the NASB version, supposedly the most literal translation:

Matthew 6:5-13
When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.

So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

Pray, then, in this way:
Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.


And my interpretation:

When I pray, I don't want to be a hypocrite who shows people how holy they are and plays at following Christ for social recognition. That is meaningless.

I want to be alone, secluded, and talking only with God the Father with the Holy Spirit and Jesus interceding for me - polishing my rough edges to present my mediocre words to a compassionate mastermind called "God". I don't need to blabber on for hours - I can be direct and to the point. I can emphasize quality over quantity, since God already knows what I'm going to say.

Here's what I can pray:

God in heaven, your name is honorable.

Allow your upside-down kingdom of selflessness and love to come to earth, leaking from heaven's perfection.

Please provide everyone with what they need to get through another day - be it hope, food, water, medicine, love or a tender touch. Please give us all the strength to provide for each others' needs, being used by you to take care of each other.

Forgive us for being self-centered and imperfect, each day making mistakes that we don't always intend to make. Seeing our own faults demands us to be more compassionate and forgiving towards others.

Take away evil through our actions - use us to eradicate poverty, fight against egoism, and build a better future for all mankind with our actions today.

You have the mercy and power to bring Your upside-down kingdom wherever will bring you glory. Let it be so on this earth.


So, I better get back to school stuff now. But this just seemed so much more important. *sigh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home