Ponderings of an Inquisitor

11.24.2005

Brain Goo

So... my brain has been officially exhausted. Not only am I wondering about super big important stuff like the purpose of life and what´s right and wrong and what I want to make my life about... I´m also group-writing a 90 page paper on the donor market, fundraising techniques, possible grant givers and a 3-year fundraising plan for Red Viva.

Everything would be going great, and really it is... if it weren´t for annoying technology. I worked for an hour and a half today on getting our conclusions organized and supported only to have my computer freeze up when I tried to save them. I have an extremely understanding group and they super-encouraged me but I´m super frustrated. And of course, there´s this weird sickness in me that wants to just start over and replicate all the work I lost - but I´m out of time! Grrr... I guess it´s just another lesson in being out of control. Life isn´t perfect and there´s always wrenches. How we react to those wrenches is what shows our character. I can only pray that my character would be reflecting a good heart. I was writing in my journal about what a good heart my look like... here´s some thoughts from that... I´ve officially decided you´ll all be subject to more of my journey... haha...

"Knowing God is doing justice. An action - not just an abstract idea. Only those who do the will of God will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. So the way you get to heaven is necessarily through Jesus´sacrifice to cover our injustices, but even if you know Jesus and don´t do justice, no dice. That´s why that one verse talks about how even the demons know who Jesus is and shudder - but they´re not part of the Kingdom of God because they don´t practice Justice...?? Hmmm..."

"Second thought - God is love and doing His 'will' is doing justice - caring for peoples' needs. You can do justice without love and it generally comes off as arrogant and unnecessary. But you can´t have love without justice because love provokes justice - to love is to do justice. To care for the needs of others..."

Matthew 22:36-39
Rich Young Ruler: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"

Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."


"If all I´m here for is to love God and love others, I can do that in so many ways. I can love God with my heart by allowing Him to shape my emotions and reactions to things - having compassion for those who suffer, having mercy for those who struggle, having strength for those who need courage. I can love God with my mind by filling it with His words and good things. I can educate myself on injustices and can brainstorm solutions to those injustices. I can love Him with my soul by not getting caught up with the aspirations of this world like money, status and maybe even freedom of speech? I wonder what values I take for granted as being more important than justice... Is freedom of speech more important to me than caring for the basic needs of my neighbor?

"I can love my neighbor as myself by caring for their needs and seeking to be their neighbor - not waiting for them to approach me for help. How could I do that right now? What does Jesus say the most important needs are? Does he? Jesus came to heal the sick, humanize the outcasts, empower the unexpected to be leaders, speak out against hypocrisy and poor treatment (because of arrogance) of others... He waved a banner of opportunity to those who´d been easily tossed aside - He saw the potential that no one else saw. He also saw the hypocrisy and evil in the religious leaders that many chose to ignore. So essentially, Jesus saw the hearts of everyone. I should just leave judging peoples' hearts to Christ and simply follow His example of justice and loving."

Really, the only thing I need to judge are what people teach me to believe. I should be open-minded but take everything with a grain of salt. Everyone believes things for a reason... Most actions are rational... you just have to find the rationale behind them. Anyways, so I think that with my life, I´m going to be loving by doing justice which is caring for other peoples´needs. I want to help heal the sick, humanize the outcast, empower the unexpected to be leaders, and speak out against hypocrisy and poor treatment of others. At least... that's what I want for now... ask me after Guatemala! Ha! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home