Ponderings of an Inquisitor

10.18.2005

Nicaragua, day two

This is the National Palace in Managua, Nicaragua...


This is a neat monument, wherein each panel shows part of Nicaragua´s history...


This is one of the more beautifully done panels enlarged...


This is the church right next to the National Palace... I just thought it was pretty...


This is an image of Sandino that overlooks all of Managua... I´d like to learn more about him - especially about the apparent difference between him and those who followed him, the Sandinistas


This are my sweet friends, Liz and Jenny, who took some pics for me while I was deathly ill (see below)


It’s hard to believe we’re into October and it’s 80 degrees outside. I love this weather… Today we went to the plaza and it was extremely interesting till I started to not feel so good. I got way sick by the time we got to the next stop till I was in tears – the 1st time I’ve cried since I got here. It was just ridiculously painful. It’s funny how anxiously I was praying in the midst of pain… Finally, around 6pm, I started to feel normal. I asked everyone about the speakers and the general consensus was that the first speaker was amazing and served tea and cookies. He did a great job integrating faith with his sermon, but no one really seemed to know how. They were mentioning that he was actually really wealthy and seemed to have an understanding about how to be wealthy and still help with poverty. It seemed to be that as long as you were doing something about it, you could still be wealthy.
This is definitely a contradictory point of view compared to Phil Burt’s, that all benefits come at the suffering of someone else. It’s funny that Phil’s perspective was of someone who isn’t that well off, while the speaker’s perspective was of one who is. I’ve heard something that seems to apply – it basically discusses how everyone will believe what they want to believe in the first place. That factor makes it awfully hard to determine truth, since we’re always coming at it from a certain bias. I wonder if either speaker could hear the other side and take it seriously.
Anyway, then the next speaker was apparently really straightforward and not terribly interesting, so I didn’t hear much about what he had to say… Then we went to dinner and one of the cultural things I noticed was when thanking the lady, she shook hands with the men and patted the women on the shoulders – it’s interesting how every culture has their certain style of greeting. I’ve especially noticed how important hugs are to U.S. culture. Mindy gave us hugs good night and I realized how much I had missed them.
That was about the extent of my profound thoughts since I was sick the majority of the day…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home