Nicaragua, day three
Day Three. We got up and headed towards PLC headquarters to hear Aleman’s daughter speak. I could tell that she was really hurting from her heart and she had a very real, raw sense of injustice. I’m not sure how honest/transparent she was about policies and stuff – that appeared sorta scripted. However, I felt like her pain about her father really came through. Then I was talking with Ryan and he reminded me of what John Stam had said about filtering peoples’ thoughts and ideas. He said to think “this person” on “this day” said “this” because of “this”. Totally makes sense, cause the very next speaker (Kenny) denied what she had said. With him being an ex-LASP student, part of me felt like he’d be trustworthier. Then again, he seemed slightly indoctrinated from the opposite side. Filtering the two speakers together, it helps you to 1) be extremely confused and then 2) really ponder what all this stuff means and force yourself to find the things that seem consistent between both sides.
Something interesting about what Aleman’s daughter said – she loves Americans but has a hard time with our government. I’ve heard this consistently and I’m not sure if it’s just that we’re Americans, so they say that to not be offensive, or if they really mean that. I feel like that makes sense, though. But then, problem with that is that this entity of the U.S. government is now hated – but no one takes personal responsibility. Who exactly is our government? Isn’t it, in theory, representational of its people? Or are we representational of what our government dictates? I love America – I can’t honestly say I’d prefer to live anywhere else (though I love learning about different cultures). I’m just not sure if I can handle supporting an oppressive country like the U.S. If they were a person, I wouldn’t like them too much… they seem like a big bully.
Although they seem like a big bully, they also seem like they’re trying to do good in the world. I think there must be some people who genuinely believe that there will be world peace and a better economy if every nation had a mixed economy and democracy/republic like the States has. Part of me believes that… it’s hard not to, since it seems like it’s worked so well for us. But it’s easy for me to say that I value being able to choose my food more than being ensured that I have food to eat, never having felt the feeling of starvation. It’s easy for me to think about a group of people and decide that they’ll probably feel just like me when I’ve never met them.
I sorta understand my mom’s perspective on her job now… GEICO rations toilet paper and demands a lot from their workers and belittles them… probably because the ‘bureaucracy’ doesn’t have friends in the working class… I wonder if that’s what happens with governments… like that one lady who came and spoke with us who was part of the Sandinista government… she lost her friends in Nicaragua who were poor and she lost her vision. Maybe that’s what happened with Hitler too? He lost sight of people being real human beings with souls and needs…
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home