Ponderings of an Inquisitor

10.18.2005

Nicaragua, day six

Today we went to Masaya to meet with everyone for the presentation of all the different businesses that were started with the loan company. Since most of the business people don’t really speak too much Spanish, I was able to translate the whole presentation for everyone, which was an incredible experience but a hard one. First of all, Nicaraguans have a very thick accent, so I have to really focus on what they’re saying in order to understand. Also, I’m not THAT great at Spanish and never would’ve volunteered, had I not been forced into the position. All that being said, it was SO neat to do it!!! I actually translated okay – not perfect, of course, but it was okay. I understood the majority and was able to let everyone else know what was going on. That was a HUGE hurdle for me. Maybe there’s something to translating… hmmm…

The three students presented their ideas of businesses, which they were waiting for loans for and then we asked questions. It made me realize that we really had learned something about business in our schools – like figuring out strengths and weaknesses and trying to find a niche to make the business better. I was proud of us for a bit – that all our hard work in college didn’t just mean nothing. At least we’re not all wasting that $25,000 a year that it costs to go!

Something that the director said she wanted us to see is that they don’t see beyond Nicaragua – they only plan for futures here and wouldn’t really think of a multi-national company. While I did see that, I can imagine why. They’re taking a big step even thinking of doing something in their community, especially as young females, in more humble communities. Maybe they’ll even expand to the city, but they’re probably not as familiar with multi-national companies as Costa Rica might be. While we were in Managua, I hardly saw more than 2 or 3 multi-national companies, and since being here, I haven’t seen hardly any except a few household products. I was pretty proud of them, to say the least!

After meeting with several of the business people from Nicaragua, we were able to have a process group in English and I never thought I’d be so excited to speak my own language. It was neat to have people who understood where I’d come from and were experiencing very similar things that I was experiencing… I wonder what it is that makes us cling to people and things that are familiar to us. I wonder if there’s something inside of us that longs for security and safety and familiarity and deep relationships.

Afterwards, we went to the market and something that struck me is bartering. I offered to buy the girls both necklaces, which they happily accepted, so I think this must be a sign of affection… Anyway, when we went to buy them, they weren’t going to take a price of 30 pesos, even though the other one exactly like it had only cost 25 pesos. We did end up paying only 25, but it was interesting how here it’s not offensive to barter to a lower price, while in the States this would almost be devaluing their product. Another thing that was very interesting is that they don’t ask “Cuanto cuesta?” or “How much does it cost?” They ask “Cuanto vale?” or “How much is it worth?” Very interesting… maybe this culture is more polite than it seems at first… maybe their politeness is just different – even from other Latin American countries!

Then we headed home and I was sitting and staring and chatting as usual when my little niece asked me to come learn how to dance. So I basically spent the rest of the night until like 8pm dancing and learning Cumbia, Merengue, Reggaeton and Reggae. While some of the movements are slightly sexual, they don’t seem that way when you’re dancing with a 4-yr-old, a 10-yr-old and sweet 18-yr-old. We had a blast just dancing and laughing and having the little bird dance with us and drink out of our mouths. Most of anything, it was just pure fun. I almost feel like that quote, “Necessity is the mother of invention.” There’s not a ton of stuff around the community, but we figured out how to have a whole lot of fun. It was awesome. J I think the most fun was getting my other cousin and their mom to dance Cumbia… it was great and I definitely took pictures! This is obviously another very important part of the culture – they were telling me that at every party and celebration there’s always dancing. To me, this speaks to the idea that there’s always community, always joy and always fun! I love this part!!!

Then I came home (about 20 feet away) and talked a while with my Uncle Javier and my aunt DaMaris. We talked about one of the saddest things – that Kevin, who’s about 2.5 years old and ended up living with them about a year ago because his mom just got newly married, was going to have to leave the next day. After a year and a half living with this other family, all of the sudden his mom could just come by and take them. His dad didn’t even care about him either… Poor kid. And poor Javier & DaMaris who treat them as their own son! It ended sorta sad and I felt badly, but it was kinda another moment to see that yes, people do value family, but yes, there are those who don’t. Just as in every part of the world, it seems, there are those who are good and caring and those who are selfish… While it seems like this culture lends itself to a more community-oriented and family-oriented lifestyle, it’s still a choice that each individual has to make.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home