Ponderings of an Inquisitor

9.05.2005

So… today was my first day of classes. I didn’t get to finish my reading for today, but I had a grace period, so I can finish it for Wednesday. God is always so gracious to me!

We started at 7:45am and had a Bible lesson on Mark. That will be very interesting – we’ll be looking at the book for the next month. Today, we learned that it was written during a time of war and it seems that he’s propositioning that the reason that the original document didn’t have any record of Jesus’ birth or resurrection is because it’s primary purpose was to be a war document. I don’t know yet – we’ll have to see what else he says. I’ve definitely never heard that from all the stuff I’ve read, but I’m very young and have much to learn. I’m trying to be open-minded.

Then we learned about Latin American studies and different theories of why there are “problems” in Latin American countries. I can’t possibly explain the entire lecture, but it was very fascinating. It was the first time that I’ve seen both Latin American countries as well as the U.S. from a differing perspective. There’s this one book, A people’s history of the United States, or something like that – very interesting. I think everyone should read it – it’s basically the unofficial history of the U.S. from the peoples’ perspectives. I honestly feel like my world is turned sideways – I don’t know where to begin because I feel very overwhelmed. It’s very hard to have someone who you respect give you reasonable cause to doubt what you’ve always been taught. I feel like I can now empathize with people who live in their country and have missionaries come in and tell them what they’ve believed for so long is wrong… I don’t think I’d want to hear it! It’s very hard to let go of cultural ties very easily – and that’s for my own comfort. I can’t imagine accepting the new teaching and then losing my family over it – it would be VERY difficult.

We explored all different things, but mostly study colonialism, neo-colonialism, dependency theory and having an open mind to new things. If I’m feeling like this right now, I can’t imagine how I’ll feel when I return to the states… holy goodness. I have a much better understanding of why so many people hate the U.S. – not necessarily every U.S. citizen, but the country as a whole. And that’s all just from one morning! Wowie…

Then we had 2 doctors come and tell us about what to do to keep ourselves healthy while we’re here… how to prevent stuff and everything. It was good to hear and the 2nd doctor was hilarious. He spoke english very well and had a very dry sense of humor, but he was soooo funny!

Then we had our language classes which were pretty good. Grammar and then Conversation – it will be very helpful to brush up on everything. Then we left school and I used the internet café to look at some email and post really quick, but I tomorrow, I’m going to try to find a café with USB ability.

Then I came home on the bus and I got lost for a little bit, but it’s very easy to find your way, so I just followed the signs till I got to the correct bus stop. Then I arrived home (after like 45 minutes – holy cow!) and had dinner. Soooo yummy.  I really like the food here – a lot of beans and rice or chicken and beans and rice or eggs and rice or tuna and rice and cilantro and bananas and ummm… lots of yummy food! 

My feet hurt a LOT because we have to dress up for school everyday and I’m not allowed to wear my flip-flops. It’s a little frustrating because I totally have shoes that would be great, but they’re at home! I kinda wish they would have told us ahead of time, but such is life.  I’ll just go buy some shoes in San Jose. Anyways, I’m feeling better just sitting in bed. It’s soooo wonderful to have a laptop, can I just tell you? I love laying in bed, typing away and then being able to put it away under my bed! How wonderful. 

I got to talk a lot tonight with my papa which was cool – we talked about government and his perspective on both the government here as well as in the States. It was very interesting to hear his perspective. I like talking with him, but he’s generally very quiet – very sweet but very quiet. Maybe we’ll be able to talk more as time goes by and I can comprehend more of what everyone’s saying. I can’t wait to be fluent!!!!!!!

Okay, so now I’m going to go to sleep because, even though it’s only 8:30pm, I’m sooooo tired!! Hugs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home