More Cartago
The people come in the church and ´walk´their way up to the altar on their knees. It´s a way of honoring the Virgin... On the 2nd of August, they will walk for whole blocks or a mile on their knees, tearing up their knees in honor of the Virgin... very sad...
These are a few of my friends and I in front of the Basilica...
This is a Catholic mass at the same place where the white virgin had appeared... the incense was rather interesting to me - it makes me want to check out Catholic services in the U.S.
2 Comments:
It's not "very sad" that folks choose to worship the way they want to. Rather, it's their personal expression of faith and devotion - just looks a little strange to others. They would likely think speaking in tongues and rolling on the floor is a bit odd. All a matter of perspective.
And as for going to a Catholic service in the U.S. when you get back, you should. They're very ceremonial (incense, candles, kneeling, holy water, the works!), if memory serves.
By
Bob, at 9:31 AM
I definitely plan to... very interesting, and I see what you´re saying but it still makes me sad that they think they have to hurt themselves to please God. If they wanna jump up and down or do whatever, that´s totally fine... but the fact that they walk blocks on their knees till they bleed... doesn´t that hurt you some? Even if it is their personal choice? What if I cut myself because I thought God told me to? I´m not saying that I´m for sure about whether there´s only one way to God or whatever... but I don´t think it involves hurting yourself... thoughts?
By
Sings in the Sunshine, at 4:19 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home