Ponderings of an Inquisitor

8.03.2005

Work

So... basically, our staff helps run a hotel at Biola for all the conferences on staff. We have all sorts of funny moments... like packing a billion people on a little golf cart... or Tim's random comments... or simply learning about each other (like learning about Chinese/Asian culture... or learning how to speak Jamaican... or eating different types of foods from all over the world... it's been an INCREDIBLE experience working at this job. I've learned SO many things...

1. Always appreciate what people do for you - no matter how menial the task (eg: cleaning your hotel room!) Yes, they get paid for it - but it doesn't hurt to leave things as good or better than how you found them.

2. Learn to appreciate different styles of doing things - when dealing with different cultures, you have to adjust. Middle-eastern people are extremely intense, but they don't hate you - they just need you to pay attention to their need... RIGHT THEN! :) But 10 seconds later, they'll be sweet as can be.

3. High schoolers are a whole different breed of people - they're like ice cream - they're really sweet, but are the best in small quantities!

4. If you can get people to laugh about things, you can usually make most things better. Essentially, I hate conflict - I try to be a little silly so we can avoid conflict at all costs.

5. I am officially non-confrontational unless it's a habit I have to deal with long-term. I can handle almost anything short term (except laziness!) I'm also passive-aggressive... hmmmm... ;)

6. The best way to not turn out to be a selfish, controlling person to work with is to become more and more like Jesus. Otherwise, we have no hope of stopping our selfish desires.

Here's some pics from my gorgeous staff...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home