Ponderings of an Inquisitor

3.20.2005

Come to Jesus

Okay, so I had a really awesome conversation this week that made me want to write down the things I've figured out so far... Here they are:

1. I believe that the Bible is true.

I read Case for Christ by Lee Strobel and I was only more convinced of it's authenticity. From what I understand, about 5% of the Bible is arguably incorrectly there or not there (called textual variants), and I just need to take note of it (it's labeled in the Bible) and not 'hang my theology on it' as Craig Hill (my New Testament Professor) would say.

2. I believe that God is good.

First of all, my experiences in life (especially seeing God intricately work through my prayers) have led me to believe that God is good. Secondly, the Bible says He is holy and good & if I really believe #1, then God must be good. Yes, I still have trouble with eternal punishment (aka: hell). But I've come to understand that there is a reason for pain and suffering and God desires to bless those who love Him and He blesses the unrighteous with the righteous.

3. I believe that God is sovereignly in control and yet we have free will.

This is my most recent discovery. This is based, again, on what Scripture says and on a conversation with Erik Thoennes (another awesome Biola Professor) about soveregnty and free will. He pointed out scripture which led to what I was suspecting - a little bit hard to grasp, but we have the responsibility and right to choose things, and yet God wills things in our lives. If you don't believe that God is sovereignly in control, how do you know this earthly life will ever end? How do you know God wins over evil in the end and makes everything perfect again? How do you know this just won't happen all over again? And what about life - are we just here, suffering with an uncaring God who has no point to what happens in our lives? Scripture just doesn't seem to support that. This doesn't excuse us from the responsibility of making our own choices - we still have that responsibility, and we have to own up for it.

4. I believe that God works things out for good, whether we understand it or not.

We can only see the present and the past, but we can't see the big picture God has for our lives, for humankind and for his eternal glory. He knows exactly what He's doing. Sometimes, we get to see God's plan unravel, like seeing answers to prayers or how something that feels devastating works out to be a blessing in the end. Although it breaks my heart to see children starving (physically and emotionally) in Uganda when I have so much food and love to give them, or I want to just take Abi (my little mexican amiga) home with me so she can have the opportunities I've had, or when I see peoples' parents die with no explanation and don't understand, God is still working things out for good. Sometimes "bad" things happen because we make dumb decisions and those things are the consequences of our actions. Sometimes God causes those things to happen and grows us in the midst of those trials, and sometimes God is simply 'holding the leash' on Satan to control just how much damage he does to the Lord's creations. We don't know, but He does. He is actively involved in our lives and taking care of us...

5. Evangelism and prayer for people who are not saved is essential.

From what I understand, God causes and wills things to happen but doesn't violate our inclinations as human beings. Well, if that's true, there's going to be some (probably many) human beings whose inclinations are to reject God or not even pay attention to Him. They just don't see the peace and hope and incredible joy that comes from really loving the Lord. It doesn't come from going to church or from saying you're a Christian or even from becoming a religious teacher - the Pharisees were that and Jesus told them they were pretty crappy. It comes from loving God with all your heart, and beginning to put your mind in gear to seeing a majestic, incredible, loving, merciful, holy, creative, funloving, forgiving, just Father who knows your deepest thoughts and desires. Those who have been hurt by "Christians" or "the Church" need my prayers and my life as a witness or they might never see! That kills me! I don't want to "convert" anyone for the sake of being right... my heart SO wants people to experience a life of peace and hope and assurance that the most holy person is in control of their life...

---

There's more that I believe... so much more... I love seeing where I've been and where I am now. If people only knew what a terrible person I was, they'd never believe where God has taken me from until this point. How can I do anything except tell people how good God is? Yes, there are crappy things that don't make sense, but God is still so good. My heart is never more full than when I can love on my creator and His creations. That's our purpose in life - that's our goal! We're to LOVE and have relationships with people. That's all that really matters. College only allows me to meet more people and make more relationships and become closer to the Lord by learning more about Him and this world He's allowed us to have.

I hope I can say these same things when terrible things happen in my life. I'm sure someday there will be things that hurt more than the pain I've experienced. In those times, I hope I look back and see God's faithfulness... so many times...

He brought my dad through a surgery walking - when he had a 95% chance of becoming a paraplegic.

He brought back a huge paper that my friend had been working on for weeks when she couldn't find it and everyone told her it was lost... but we prayed and the Lord restored it.

He worked on my heart to show me that I'm not as great as I thought I was... I'm just as crappy as anybody - it's a refreshing though, you know. :)

He provided money for La Roca when they needed it to pay their bills. He provided a bag of sugar when that's what they needed.

He allowed me to end a relationship with someone who was a wonderful person but not who He wanted me to be with - and He showed me along the way how to trust Him and not feel guilt over it. He gave me peace and restored my heart to a point where I love that person again in a completely different way than before - as a brother in Christ and as a friend.

He blesses me so much every day - I have a family who loves me, the privilege of going to college (to Biola, no less!), I get to talk with my friends about spiritual issues and they understand where I'm coming from, I get to meet incredible people every week... The list goes on forever - I can ride a bike and run and play football and laugh and cry and dream and think and play and smile. I can appreciate beauty and speak different languages and make music and give hugs and eat and talk and sing and hear and taste and type on my computer that's in my room with my warm bed and my clothes and shoes. It's ridiculous.

Maybe I have a skewed perspective - with all these blessings, it'd be hard not to see God as good... but I won't forget these things... And I won't forget how God is restoring my heart right now... for the first time I'm starting to get over something I've struggled with for the last 8 years... by God's grace and mercy.

Overwhelmed. There are no words to continue in His awesome praises... I can't wait till heaven... :) Ahhhh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home